The Publix Hotel is located at the southeast corner of 5th Avenue South and South King Street in Seattle’s Chinatown-International District.
Completed in 1928, the original Publix Hotel building was designed by J.L. McCauley for the Rainier Heat and Power Company as a single-room occupancy hotel for its workers. The adjacent warehouse was constructed in 1978 as an addition to the then Uwajimaya grocery store.
The complex renovation and new construction project combined the restored Publix Hotel and a new mixed-use building on the site of the old warehouse. At The Publix, 20 percent of the units are affordable with the rents at 65, 75, and 85 percent of Area Median Income for studios, one bedrooms, and two bedrooms respectively. Residential amenities include rooftop deck with 360 degree views of downtown Seattle and the Puget Sound, a fitness center, community rooms, exterior deck with gas grills, bike storage, and a dog walk.